We’ve been discussing for ages the composing of a manifesto regarding Cycling Chic. We coined the phrase, after all, so we thought it necessary to highlight what it’s all about. As ever, with a hint of seriousness, a splash of poetry and a dash of playfulness.
With that said, we present to you The Copenhagen Cycle Chic Manifesto.
- I choose to cycle chic and, at every opportunity, I will choose Style over Speed;
- I embrace my responsibility to contribute visually to a more aesthetically pleasing urban landscape;
- I am aware that my mere prescence in said urban landscape will inspire others without me being labelled as a ‘bicycle activist’;
- I will ride with grace, elegance and dignity. – I will choose a bicycle that reflects my personality and style;
- I will, however, regard my bicycle as transport and as a mere supplement to my own personal style. Allowing my bike to upstage me is unacceptable;
- I will endeavour to ensure that the total value of my clothes always exceeds that of my bicycle;
- I will accessorize in accordance with the standards of a bicycle culture and acquire, where possible, a chain guard, kickstand, skirt guard, fenders, bell and basket;
- I will respect the traffic laws;
- I will refrain from wearing and owning any form of ‘cycle wear’. The only exception being a bicycle helmet;
- If I choose to exercise my freedom of personal choice and wear one.